Access to Records | Spalding University Catalog

Access to Records

 All students are given a student identification number to be used for record purposes throughout the University. This number is to identify such student records as applications for admission, registration and course enrollment documents, grade reports, transcript requests, and permanent academic records. The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA) provides students certain access to and control over information contained in educational records. In accordance with FERPA, applicants for admission and enrolled students are advised that the requested disclosure of their social security number to the University is voluntary. The applicant or student has the right to refuse disclosure of this number or request its removal from records without penalty. The student's social security number must be furnished, however, (a) to determine eligibility, certify school attendance, and report student status and (b) as an identifier for grants, loans, and other financial aid programs. The student's social security number will not be disclosed to individuals or agencies outside Spalding University except in accordance with the Spalding University Policy on Student Records.

The following items pertaining to students are considered directory information, and may be disclosed in response to inquiries concerning individual students, whether the inquiry is in person, in writing, or by telephone:

  • Student's name
  • Address
  • Telephone number
  • Date and place of birth
  • Honors and awards
  • Dates of attendance

Directory information is available in the Enrollment Services Center and Student Life and Development. Students who desire that any or all such information not be released without prior consent must notify the registrar in writing within 15 days of registration.

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. These rights include:

  1. The right to inspect and review the student's education records within 45 days of the day the University receives a request for access. Students should submit to the registrar, dean, head of the academic department, or other appropriate official, written requests that identify the record(s) they wish to inspect. The University official will make arrangements for access and notify the student of the time and place where the records may be inspected. If the records are not maintained by the University official to whom the request was submitted, that official shall advise the student of the correct official to whom the request should be addressed.
  2. The right to request the amendment of the student's education records that the student believes are inaccurate. Students may ask the University to amend a record that they believe is inaccurate. They should write the University official responsible for the record, clearly identify the part of the record they want changed, and specify why it is inaccurate. If the University decides not to amend the record as requested by the student, the University will notify the student of the decision and advise the student of his or her right to a hearing regarding the request for amendment. Additional information regarding the hearing procedures will be provided to the student when notified of the right to a hearing.
  3. The right to consent to disclosures of personally identifiable information contained in the student's education records, except to the extent that FERPA authorizes disclosure without consent.
    1. One exception, which permits disclosure without consent, is disclosure to school officials with legitimate educational interests. A school official is a person employed by the University in an administrative, supervisory, academic or research, or support staff position (including law enforcement unit personnel and health staff); a person or company with whom the University has contracted (such as an attorney, auditor, or collection agent); a person serving on the Board of Trustees; or a student serving on an official committee, such as a disciplinary or grievance committee, or assisting another school official in performing his or her tasks.
    2. A school official has a legitimate educational interest if the official needs to review an education record in order to fulfill his or her professional responsibility.
  4. The right to file a complaint with the U.S. Department of Education concerning alleged failures by the University to comply with the requirements of FERPA. The name and address of the Office that administers FERPA is:

    Family Policy Compliance Office
    U.S. Department of Education
    400 Maryland Avenue, SW
    Washington, DC 20202-4605