Financial Aid Information | Spalding University Catalog

Financial Aid Information

Spalding University offers financial assistance to students based on need and academic achievement. To determine student need, the university utilizes the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), which takes into consideration certain factors relating to the family financial status.

Three basic types of financial aid are made available by the university: (1) scholarships/grants (which is money that does not have to be repaid), (2) loans (which is money that has to be repaid) and (3) part-time employment. Some funds for grants and loans are provided through programs sponsored by the federal and state governments. All university sponsored aid is open to any student regardless of race, religion, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or disability. Aid is available to students who are accepted to the University and meet the particular award's eligibility requirements.

Assistance that is funded in whole or in part by the federal/state government is administered according to federal/state guidelines covering the particular programs. Funds provided by the federal government are authorized under Title IV of the Higher Education act of 1965 and are awarded according to those guidelines. These programs are available to students who carry at least six credit hours per term as an undergraduate or ONLINE student, or five credit hours per term as a graduate student, and who are U.S. citizens or eligible non-citizens with a social security number. One exception is the Federal Pell Grant program, which is available to eligible students carrying fewer than six credit hours per term. Classes in which a student does not participate in academic activity will not be counted towards the credit hours for financial aid eligibility. If financial aid has paid for a class and it is determined that academic activity has not occurred, then the aid will be adjusted accordingly.

Academic activity for Title IV purposes includes but is not limited to:

• Physically attending a class where there is an opportunity for direct interaction between the instructor and students;
• Submitting an academic assignment;
• Taking an exam, an interactive tutorial, or computer-assisted instruction;
• Attending a study group assigned by the school;
• Participating in an online discussion about academic matters; and
• Initiating contact with a faculty member to ask a question about the academic subject studied in the course.

What is not considered academic activity includes but is not limited to:

• Living in on campus housing
• Participating in the school’s meal plan
• Participating in a student-organized study group
• Logging into an online class without active participation
• Participating in academic counseling or advising
• Purchasing a book or supplies for a class.

Assistance that is funded in whole or in part by state governments is administered according to the guidelines enacted by the respective states.

A student seeking financial aid through Spalding University must not be in default on a student loan obtained while attending Spalding or any other previously attended institution of higher education and must not owe a refund on a government-sponsored grant or loan.

For information on specific awards and eligibility requirements, please see the Financial Aid section of the University's website at  and/or contact the appropriate financial aid counselor