If the student disagrees with a faculty member’s findings and decision regarding a grade assigned or the outcome of an investigation into breaches of professional and/or academic integrity, the student may file an appeal using the steps below.
- Within 5 business days following the confirmed delivery of the faculty member’s written documentation of her/his decision, the student will submit written documentation of their appeal to the Chair or Program Director overseeing the academic program who, within 2 business days, will share it with the involved faculty member. The faculty member will then submit a written response to her/his supervisor within 5 business days.
- Within 5 business days of the receipt of the faculty member’s response to the student appeal, the Chair/Program Director will render a decision to either uphold the original decision or overturn the original decision in favor of the appeal. This decision will be placed in writing and sent to the student and faculty member either through registered mail with delivery confirmation or in person, with a signature verifying receipt.
- If the student desires to grieve further, within 5 business days of confirmed delivery of the Chair/Program Director’s written decision, the student will request in writing that all documentation be forwarded to the Associate Dean of the academic area or designee. The student may add further information if pertinent to the appeal. The Associate Dean or designee’s decision in the matter will be final and will be rendered within 10 business days of the receipt of the final appeal. In cases where the Associate Dean may be a part of the complaint, the final decision will be rendered by the Undergraduate or Graduate Dean or designee.
- Copies of all documentation will be maintained on file in the academic program of the responsible faculty member for 3 years.
- All disciplinary actions taken will be reported to the Provost and recorded in the student’s official file in the University Registrar’s Office.
NOTE: All appeals must be completed within 45 business days of the initial discovery/disagreement as described in the pertinent policy (Professional Integrity, Academic Integrity, or Disagreement in Grade Assigned.)
Back to Academic Status and Appeals